Indiana Landmarks Center
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Size: 30,000 square feet
Working in partnership with George Ridgeway of the Cook Group, Rowland Design was charged with altering the 1922 wing of the historic former Central Avenue Methodist Church to function as the new Indiana Landmarks headquarters. The challenging project included a new principle entrance requiring the removal of an existing floor. A new elevator was strategically placed to make most of the building’s 22 levels wheelchair accessible.
The client desired a more contemporary office design to demonstrate the coexistence of thoughtfully designed new work within historic structures. New lighting and HVAC systems were discreetly placed within existing ceiling heights as well as the installation of a sprinkler system and air conditioning in a building that previously had neither.
Monumental Affair Award for Innovation Reuse, Landscape Architecture and Community Development
Indiana Landmarks Cook Cup for Outstanding Preservation
Services: Architecture, Interior Design & Preservation