Location: East Grand Rapids, MI

Size: 60,000 square feet

What was once the site of an obsolete department store, is now a spirited mixed-use project with locally owned restaurants, retail, banks and health care offices. This area of Grand Rapids was formerly home to an amusement park and commercial establishments dating from the turn of the last century. Taking inspiration from the historic architectural fabric of the community, facades are divided into singular store fronts allowing tenants a sense of individuality.  

To further the authenticity of the architectural design, a 1920’s bank façade was relocated from downtown Grand Rapids and incorporated into the new facades. A variety of honest materials including brick, limestone, wood and terra cotta provided a level of detail anchoring the project within the community fabric.  

A plaza fountain surrounded by cast bronze player pianos references a time when local pubs disposed of pianos by sending them to a nearby lake shortly after the introduction of the juke box. Anchoring the plaza is the entrance pavilion from the parking deck into the public court. Referencing the range of sail boats at adjacent Reed’s Lake, a 35-foot-tall regatta sculpture and its viewing platform have become a favored location for town meetings and community events.

Services: Architecture

Gaslight Village

Gaslight Village

Location: East Grand Rapids, MI

Size: 60,000 square feet

What was once the site of an obsolete department store, is now a spirited mixed-use project with locally owned restaurants, retail, banks and health care offices. This area of Grand Rapids was formerly home to an amusement park and commercial establishments dating from the turn of the last century. Taking inspiration from the historic architectural fabric of the community, facades are divided into singular store fronts allowing tenants a sense of individuality.  

To further the authenticity of the architectural design, a 1920’s bank façade was relocated from downtown Grand Rapids and incorporated into the new facades. A variety of honest materials including brick, limestone, wood and terra cotta provided a level of detail anchoring the project within the community fabric.  

A plaza fountain surrounded by cast bronze player pianos references a time when local pubs disposed of pianos by sending them to a nearby lake shortly after the introduction of the juke box. Anchoring the plaza is the entrance pavilion from the parking deck into the public court. Referencing the range of sail boats at adjacent Reed’s Lake, a 35-foot-tall regatta sculpture and its viewing platform have become a favored location for town meetings and community events.

Services: Architecture