Location: East Grand Rapids, MI

Size: 60,000 square feet

What was once the site of an obsolete department store, is now a spirited mixed-use project with locally owned restaurants, retail, banks and health care offices. This area of Grand Rapids was formerly home to an amusement park and commercial establishments dating from the turn of the last century. Taking inspiration from the historic architectural fabric of the community, facades are divided into singular store fronts allowing tenants a sense of individuality.  

To further the authenticity of the architectural design, a 1920’s bank façade was relocated from downtown Grand Rapids and incorporated into the new facades. A variety of honest materials including brick, limestone, wood and terra cotta provided a level of detail anchoring the project within the community fabric.  

A plaza fountain surrounded by cast bronze player pianos references a time when local pubs disposed of pianos by sending them to a nearby lake shortly after the introduction of the juke box. Anchoring the plaza is the entrance pavilion from the parking deck into the public court. Referencing the range of sail boats at adjacent Reed’s Lake, a 35-foot-tall regatta sculpture and its viewing platform have become a favored location for town meetings and community events.

Services: Architecture

Gaslight Village

Gaslight Village

Location: East Grand Rapids, MI

Size: 60,000 square feet

What was once the site of an obsolete department store, is now a spirited mixed-use project with locally owned restaurants, retail, banks and health care offices. This area of Grand Rapids was formerly home to an amusement park and commercial establishments dating from the turn of the last century. Taking inspiration from the historic architectural fabric of the community, facades are divided into singular store fronts allowing tenants a sense of individuality.  

To further the authenticity of the architectural design, a 1920’s bank façade was relocated from downtown Grand Rapids and incorporated into the new facades. A variety of honest materials including brick, limestone, wood and terra cotta provided a level of detail anchoring the project within the community fabric.  

A plaza fountain surrounded by cast bronze player pianos references a time when local pubs disposed of pianos by sending them to a nearby lake shortly after the introduction of the juke box. Anchoring the plaza is the entrance pavilion from the parking deck into the public court. Referencing the range of sail boats at adjacent Reed’s Lake, a 35-foot-tall regatta sculpture and its viewing platform have become a favored location for town meetings and community events.

Services: Architecture

Location: DePauw University | Greencastle, IN

Size: 22,775 square feet

DePauw University desired a new welcoming location for their Alumni building.  Working closely with the university, our team was challenged with the adaptive re-use of a Georgian building formerly home to multiple Greek organizations.  The existing structure had been built in the 1920’s and had subsequent additions all falling into a modest state of disrepair.  Retaining the original footprint of the home was important to the program, therefore, a new addition was planned and others not sympathetic to the style were deleted.

Various functions were required of the new facility.  The design team executed thoughtfully designed floor plans for the multi-level building to better utilize the existing real estate in conjunction with the addition all while meeting accessibility standards.  Careful attention was given to the exterior of the adjoining extensions to appear cohesive with the original stately architecture.  

The interior design and associated furnishings were updated to a more contemporary clean aesthetic while working in concert with the more traditional classical styling of the building.

Services: Architecture, Interior Design & Preservation

Robert G. Bottoms Alumni & Development Center

Robert G. Bottoms Alumni & Development Center

Location: DePauw University | Greencastle, IN

Size: 22,775 square feet

DePauw University desired a new welcoming location for their Alumni building.  Working closely with the university, our team was challenged with the adaptive re-use of a Georgian building formerly home to multiple Greek organizations.  The existing structure had been built in the 1920’s and had subsequent additions all falling into a modest state of disrepair.  Retaining the original footprint of the home was important to the program, therefore, a new addition was planned and others not sympathetic to the style were deleted.

Various functions were required of the new facility.  The design team executed thoughtfully designed floor plans for the multi-level building to better utilize the existing real estate in conjunction with the addition all while meeting accessibility standards.  Careful attention was given to the exterior of the adjoining extensions to appear cohesive with the original stately architecture.  

The interior design and associated furnishings were updated to a more contemporary clean aesthetic while working in concert with the more traditional classical styling of the building.

Services: Architecture, Interior Design & Preservation

Location: Indianapolis, IN

Size: 30,000 square feet

Working in partnership with George Ridgeway of the Cook Group, Rowland Design was charged with altering the 1922 wing of the historic former Central Avenue Methodist Church to function as the new Indiana Landmarks headquarters. The challenging project included a new principle entrance requiring the removal of an existing floor. A new elevator was strategically placed to make most of the building’s 22 levels wheelchair accessible.

The client desired a more contemporary office design to demonstrate the coexistence of thoughtfully designed new work within historic structures.  New lighting and HVAC systems were discreetly placed within existing ceiling heights as well as the installation of a sprinkler system and air conditioning in a building that previously had neither.

Monumental Affair Award for Innovation Reuse, Landscape Architecture and Community Development 

Indiana Landmarks Cook Cup for Outstanding Preservation

Services: Architecture, Interior Design & Preservation

Indiana Landmarks Center

Indiana Landmarks Center

Location: Indianapolis, IN

Size: 30,000 square feet

Working in partnership with George Ridgeway of the Cook Group, Rowland Design was charged with altering the 1922 wing of the historic former Central Avenue Methodist Church to function as the new Indiana Landmarks headquarters. The challenging project included a new principle entrance requiring the removal of an existing floor. A new elevator was strategically placed to make most of the building’s 22 levels wheelchair accessible.

The client desired a more contemporary office design to demonstrate the coexistence of thoughtfully designed new work within historic structures.  New lighting and HVAC systems were discreetly placed within existing ceiling heights as well as the installation of a sprinkler system and air conditioning in a building that previously had neither.

Monumental Affair Award for Innovation Reuse, Landscape Architecture and Community Development 

Indiana Landmarks Cook Cup for Outstanding Preservation

Services: Architecture, Interior Design & Preservation